Last week the New York State Department of Labor launched a new website offering free services to both job seekers and businesses.
The New York State Job Bank Website, http://www.laborny.jobs/, offers free resume postings for job seekers and free employment ad postings for qualified companies. A press release from the department of labor touted that there are “84,217 jobs posted” to the site.
Job seekers can
- Post their resume to the site and control how much of their personal information is available online through privacy filters
- Search for jobs within New York State by key word and location
- Set up “job search agents” which will alert job seekers of new job postings in their fields
For businesses, the site offers these benefits:
- Search thousands of resumes from potential employees
- Post open positions for free
- Automatically adds job postings from their company’s website
I tested out the new site tonight and was able to easily create an online resume and set up several job agents. The site doesn’t say, but I am assuming that the results of the job agents will be delivered to my e-mail box during the times I specified. You can specify “daily,” “every two days,” “three days” and so forth. This is a great option so you are not inundated with e-mails for the same job postings every single day.
I feel like the site is missing some small intuitive functionality like a “save” button when creating an online resume. I also got a few website errors when creating my online resume and had to guess why the information wasn’t being accepted. I just kept making changes to the information and hitting my browser’s back button until the information went through. Also, there’s no log-in greeting to show that you are already logged into the site.
These are small complaints that I am sure will be worked out in future upgrades of this site. All in all, this website is another great resource for unemployed New Yorkers.