Back in April (Wednesday, April 9 to be exact) I attended “Grow your small business with email and social media marketing,” a free talk sponsored by Buffalo Niagara SCORE and lead by a sales representative from Constant Contact. I typed up some notes to share with my coworkers, but never posted them to this blog. Since I went looking for these notes again recently, I thought I would share them here as well.
General marketing advice
- Flip the (sales) funnel; your current customers are valuable. You want your customers to come back and be your brand advocates and salespeople.
- Your customer’s friends are your next great prospects.
- When your customers are most happy – when they are most satisfied with your service (like getting their items shipped e-mail) then ask them to join your e-mail marketing list.
- Don’t just send a generic “welcome” e-mail to new subscribers. Wow them by “welcoming” them and asking them what you can do for them or helping them.
- Tell people your company is “different” not “better” because saying you are better than your competitor /customer’s current choice implies that the customer’s current choice is a mistake they made.